Friday, July 20, 2007

Doctor Appointments

Today Makenna had her 3 year well check for preschool. I can't believe I'm a mom that has to take in the forms to be filled out for school... it makes me feel old. My little girl is going to school. I'm so happy for her but it's a weird feeling to me. On to the doctor's appointment - Makenna is healthy, healthy, healthy! Thank you God! She is 3 foot 5 inches tall (once again, so tall that they couldn't even give me a percentage because she's so far off the charts) and her weight has shot up to 37 1/2 pounds which is in the 75% (higher than typical for her). Dr. Sterling and I had a discussion at length about Makenna's skin problems. She thinks that the horrible rashes that she breaks out in are a combination of her eczema and a chemical reaction between the sun and some of the sunscreens we have been trying on her. Since we seem to have things under control right now (found a sunscreen that works for her and figured out how often to apply Aquaphor to prevent breakouts) she's going to leave things as they are. She said that if this occurs next summer again then we will look into allergy testing and the possibility of putting her on an antihistamine at all times to help prevent breakouts. Makenna was so good the entire time (she LOVES going to the doctor)! Dr. Sterling was asking her all the typical well check questions and then asked her what her favorite food is to which Makenna responded "broccoli." Dr. Sterling just gave me this look "like you've got to be kidding me" and I told her "You probably think I paid her to say that, don't you?!" It is one of her favorite vegetables, but I'm surprised she mentioned it as her favorite food.

While we were at the office we had Maryn double checked for a few things. Earlier in the week I took Maryn in for a weird looking rash on the birthmark on her leg. Dr. Sterling said almost immediately that she was sure it was ringworm, gave us some meds and it cleared up with the very first application. So she double checked that today and all is well. We also weighed Maryn again because we were worried that she was losing weight instead of gaining weight (and she hasn't been eating well lately). So I weighed her this morning at the office and she was well over 18 lbs (where she needs to be in accordance to how she is growing) which is much better than the low 17 lb. range she was weighing in at earlier this week. That was a little worrisome since it would've meant that she had lost a considerable amount of weight. So once again, thank you God that she is doing so well!

With all that said, both girls are healthy and doing well. Maryn seems to be in better spirits (teeth must not be bugging her as much) and ate well last night and this morning and Makenna is her typical chipper self. After our doctor's appointment we were able to go out to lunch with daddy which is always a treat. Makenna ate an entire adult size turkey sub, a huge thing of chocolate milk and a cookie. We're talking she woofed it down before I could even blink! And that's right after she had two pancakes, strawberries and blueberries for breakfast! Growing kid I guess!

Once again, I am thankful for the way our doctor practices medicine... she wants to be precautious but not to the point that we would put Makenna through the painful process of allergy testing unless we absolutely have to. I just absolutely love our doctor and her entire office - how often do you find a practice where you not only like your own doctor, but every other doctor in the practice? I trust them completely. With all the little things and the big things. They've put my mind at ease with the little things and told me when something is not a big deal and I've seen them swing into action and get serious when they are overly concerned about something (ie. Maryn's lump on her breast when she was 8 weeks old). We know we have found a one in a million practice. They are absolutely amazing and we are blessed to have doctors that we trust so much.

No comments: