Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Playing Catch Up

Somehow I feel like time is just slipping away from me this summer. How can it almost by July already?! I feel like I'm behind on blogging on the girls so we'll see what stories come to mind...

Most recently we enjoyed a weekend in Des Moines. Josh participated in the Hy-Vee triathlon and the girls and I got to spend some quality time with Shelly's family. Fun was definitely had by all! I don't think the smile left Makenna's face the entire time she was there :) She was in her glory shadowing her older cousin Josie! When she woke up on Sunday morning she rolled over with a huge grin on her face and exclaimed "I get to play with Josie some more!" She bounded out of bed and ran to find Josie!

Josh had a great performance at the triathlon and really enjoyed himself. It was his best performance yet and he said it is the triathlon he has enjoyed the most so far. He is definitely improving as the summer goes on so it will be interesting to see how he does in the other four triathlons he has planned this summer (yes, he is an overachiever!).

Currently the girls are enjoying swimming lessons. Makenna is really improving on her swimming skills and Maryn has become a little water baby! Last summer Maryn was terrified of the water. Whether it was a pool or a sprinkler, she wouldn't go near it. Now I can't get her out of the water! She is doing great with all of her new water skills and really loves to blow bubbles in the water! The only bad part is that I usually have to deal with a tantrum every time I get her out of the water.

Makenna had her first accident on the her bike. Josh and I saw it coming and I guess you could say it was probably partly our fault because we both started yelling at her, thus distracting her and we probably made the situation worse. We were walking on our trail (she was obviously riding her bike) and we came to a little dip in the trail that was a curve. We were both yelling at her to make sure she would use her brakes and I think we just confused her. She took a tumble, but she is such a brave little girl. You could tell she was sucking it up... no tears, nothing. Her voice was trembling a little, but she just kept telling us that "I'm okay mommy, I'm really okay." I think she was just in a little shock from the fact that she fell. Luckily there were no major injuries, just a little ouchie on her ankle (which she didn't even notice until much later). She kept saying how glad she was that she had her helmet and knee pads and elbow pads on (Mom and Dad were glad too!). And the part that I'm so proud of... we gave her the option of riding her bike home or riding in the wagon with Maryn and without hesitation she chose to ride her bike! What a brave little girl!

Maryn decided to shock us all this weekend by starting to potty train. She came in to the bathroom with me once at Fleischmanns and she was trying to climb on the potty and then started pulling her pants down. Obviously she wanted to try so I sat her up on the potty. She started off by just tooting a little (which still impressed me because she knew to push) and then she peed in the potty!!! I think I was in shock! And the little girl continued all weekend long! I think she peed in the potty at least 10 times over the weekend! She has continued to enjoy pottying this week, but it's definitely fallen off some. I'm not so sure this is the real deal, but I'm willing to explore it with her. If she's interested, then I'm ready to go! Now my issue is going to be finding little enough underwear... anyone know where you can find size 18 month underwear?? Her butt is so tiny I'm thinking I'm going to have to look in the doll section.

No comments: