Sunday, September 27, 2009

Makenna's Fall

Last week I got a phone call that every parent dreads... it was the school nurse telling me that Makenna had fallen from the playground equipment, on to her head, and that she was complaining about a sore neck. They tried to tell me that she was fine, she didn't cry, and they sent her back to class with an ice pack. I asked about a concussion and possible head injury (since the place they were telling me she fell from was 12 feet up) but they thought she was fine. I called Josh and he immediately rushed to the school to check her for himself (we thought it was weird that she didn't cry... that's so not like her). He thought she seemed "with it", just a little scratched up, so he left her at school for the rest of the day. She was pretty scratched on the side of her face and mouth. Later that night, not understanding how she wasn't more hurt from the fall, we took her over to the school playground to have her show us exactly what happened and where (thinking I needed to be taking her in for a more thorough examination by a doc if it really was a fall from 12 feet up on to her head). Luckily she only fell from 6 feet up and she fell feet first and turned to her side in the process. Not great, but much better than we initially thought. I tried so hard to keep myself composed but started crying as soon as I saw her after school. As I was hugging her she kept telling me over and over "I'm really okay Mommy. I promise." Oh what a sweetheart. I had a hard time hearing about what happened, especially when she told me she ended up with wood chips in her mouth :( Once again, our guardian angels were working over time that day. Thank you God for keeping our little one safe.


Makenna after her fall (note that some of the greenish/pinkish tint under her nose is actually marker that we couldn't scrub off due to all the ouchies)



No comments: