Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Makenna's School Musical

Yesterday was Makenna's school musical "How Does Your Garden Grow?" Makenna was chosen to be Flower #1 and she had the second most lines in the entire play! The lines (along with 5 songs) all had to be memorized. I was a little overwhelmed about how a kindergartner would do this, but she took her script up to her room and came back 5 minutes later with all of her lines memorized! I think she might have a hidden talent here! She thoroughly loved practicing her lines and singing the songs and doing all the actions for us.

Josh and I were a nervous wreck the few days leading up to her big performance, but she didn't even flinch. She was too excited to even think about being nervous! She came home the day of their school performance (they did it for the entire student body) and all she said was "You should have seen how big the audience was?!" Oh and that Mr. Ludwig (the principal) messed up a few of his lines ;) The night of the big show Makenna did wonderfully. She was the first student to speak in the play and she set the bar high. She spoke clearly and articulated well enough that you could hear and understand her! She did so well! Maryn sat in the front row with me and Josh totally enamored by her big sister and all that she was doing! After one of Makenna's scenes, Maryn very quietly under her breath (not intending for anyone to hear) says "Makenna's so cool!" I had tears in my eyes. The whole moment was just too precious for this mommy!

After the play as I was driving home with Makenna she tells me "I want to do that again! That was fun!" Then proceeds to tell me how she wants to learn a new play now and perform that one for everyone and was wondering if she would get a speaking part in the 1st grade play! Oh I think we might have a little actress on our hands!

Josh and I are so proud of Makenna! Not because she aced all of her lines and had wonderful stage presence (we would have thought she was awesome even if she would have forgotten a line!), but because she did it with such passion and enthusiasm. She practiced so hard and is able to put joy in everything she does. She is a very mature, fun little girl and I just love being around her! We love you Makenna! Congratulations on a wonderful performance!


Being a flower in this play meant that mommy had to get creative and make a flower costume! To say the least, I was overwhelmed. I am not artistic at all. I don't even like to do crafts. After a lot of contemplating and hours of hard work, we came up with a costume that our little flower loved! As long as she liked it, that's all I cared about!


I think I just might have a little bit of my dad's artistic side after all :) But just a little!


Makenna onstage right before the first song began!


Makenna and Caroline doing some of their lines! I was terrified of taking pictures of her when she was up at the microphone out of fear I might mess her up from my flash. Therefore I don't have very many pictures of her up on stage. I really wanted one when she was up there the first time with no one behind her, but mama's nerves were a little too iffy to be taking pictures at that moment!


Makenna and the other flowers!


Makenna with her good friend Caroline (the scarecrow)


Trying to blend in with our flowers in the front yard.


Maryn was so proud of Makenna! Gotta love this shot!

No comments: