Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Wedding Follow-Up

This is a follow-up to the previous post...

Today I watched our wedding video with Maryn. She was more interested than I thought she would be. About halfway through the ceremony this interesting conversation takes place...

Maryn: "We're home alone. I think we're scared."

Mommy (thinking she's referring to the current day): "You're not home alone silly. Mommy's here. You don't need to be scared."

Keep watching the video.

Maryn: "But we have to be home alone. You and daddy are there. That would be scary."

Mommy (I just kind of look at her funny not understanding what she's getting at)

Maryn (choking up): "We are so scared to be home alone"

Mommy (finally getting it): "Maryn you aren't home alone! This video is before you were born! So you and your sisters aren't home alone."

Maryn: "So I'm in your tummy?"

Mommy: "No, this was before you or any of your sisters were in my tummy. It was just me and Daddy then."

Maryn starts sobbing.

Maryn: "But we are! Where am I?"

Mass chaos ensued and there were lots of tears. She was totally frustrated and confused. She does NOT get the concept that Josh and I would be together and not have the girls. She just can not wrap her little head around it and it was scaring her. She kept seeing all the people in her life - grandparents, aunts, uncles, mommy and daddy - and she thought we had left all the girls at home alone and she was worried they were scared! Poor baby. I finally got her to calm down by telling her that in a way, she was in my tummy (scientifically debatable, but she's a 4 year old so it had to do). Wow. I'm hoping the wedding talk subsides for awhile now. That was exhausting!

1 comment:

softhef said...

it's so nice to know my girls aren't the only ones that turn a simple event into a huge drama....sigh.