Friday, September 16, 2011

Cucumber, China & Piece of Fire

Maya was lying on my bed with me one afternoon and we were being silly. When I wasn't looking she apparently picked her nose and found herself a big old booger. As I turned back around she is holding her finger with her prized possession up in my face for me to see. I ask "Buddy is that a booger?" and in all seriousness she responds with "No Mommy! It's a cucumber!"

As I've mentioned numerous times on this blog, Maryn is my kid that questions everything. In depth. Ten times over. And then again. She has to know all details. So it hasn't been surprising to me that she has been more interested in human anatomy, the differences between boys and girls and where babies come from way before her big sister. I'm of the belief that you need to be honest with you kids (at an age appropriate level) and use correct terms. So one night she was asking all kinds of anatomy questions and of course she gets to her girl parts and I tell her it's a vagina. Let's not be shocked here people, that's what it's called! She repeated it and kind of looked at me quizzically but then moved on. So then about a week later after she had gone to the bathroom and was rushing out I once again questioned her about the thoroughness of her wiping. She looks at me totally annoyed and says "Don't worry mom! I didn't get any in my china!"

It took us months to figure this one out with Maya. She was walking around saying something about a "piece of fire." Constantly. And we couldn't figure it out. Finally it clicked. She wanted a PACIFIER! None of our children has ever used a pacifier but one happened to be up in the cupboard from when one of the girls used it to play with their baby dolls. She must have been able to see it all the way up there in the cupboard and wanted to play with the "piece of fire"!

No comments: