Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Funny, Funny Girls

I'm way behind on all the cute stories so here it goes....

A few weekends ago we were staying in Cedar Falls for another triathlon. Some of my cousins happened to be visiting from Wisconsin so Makenna was able to play with their girls for awhile that evening. I was checking on the girls playing in the family room and as I leave I hear Bailey say "Makenna I like your mom. She's really cute." There's a long pause and then I hear Makenna very defensively say "Hey don't say that about my mom! She is NOT cute!" I had to quietly chuckle to myself as I walked up the stairs.

One afternoon the girls were nicely playing together when all of a sudden I noticed a noise coming from the kitchen. The pantry door was all the way open, so that's usually a sign that someone wants a snack and is scavenging. Well nothing quite prepared me for what I was about to see when I peaked around the door... Here sits Maryn chowing on a bag a pretzels and holding a bottle of Josh's beer!!! I should've been thinking faster and got a picture of it but I failed to act fast enough.

Both of the girls have triathlon t-shirts that they wear to triathlons. Maryn's says "Future Triathlete" and Makenna's says "My Daddy Trains Harder Than Your Daddy." Makenna absolutely loves her shirt, but she continues to think it says "My Daddy's Faster Than Your Daddy." We were packing up for a recent triathlon and she was asking what to put in her suitcase. I told her the triathlon t-shirt and she says "Oh the "my daddy's faster" shirt?" I said "Yep." She excitedly exclaims "That's right because my Daddy's faster than all the other daddies!!" She gets quiet like she's pondering something and says "But mommy, then why are some of the other daddies that are faster than my daddy!!??"

One morning a few weeks ago the girls and I were busily getting ready for swimming lessons in the morning. I had both girls in the bathroom brushing their teeth but Makenna finished first so I went with her in her room to help her pick out some clothes. I came back in the bathroom to find Maryn hunched over the open toilet, rinsing her toothbrush out in the toilet bowl!!! And she put it back in her mouth before I had a chance to stop her!!! AHHHHHH! Yuck! We bought a new toothbrush that very afternoon!

Every time we go to the gym we drive by a specific car dealership that has a VW bug painted as a bumblebee. Makenna has been in love with this car for weeks and has it all set in her head that she is getting this car when she is old enough to drive (she even had a conversation with Daddy asking him if he would buy it for her). Well surprisingly enough, the "bee" car was gone one day. Makenna was devastated to say the least. I haven't heard much about the "bee" car for awhile now but earlier this week as we were randomly driving to the grocery store (not even past the car dealership) she brings up that she is sad about the "bee" car being gone. She's talking to me all about it from the backseat and all of a sudden she gets choked up and starts to cry a little bit. I asked her what was wrong and she told me "Mommy I don't want to drive a minivan when I get older." I laughed out loud. I couldn't help myself. I told her not to worry and that no teenager wants to drive a minivan and that Mommy and Daddy would buy her a different cool car when she turns 16. That seemed to suffice for now.

Funny things they say...

I think Josh and I use the phrase "Imagine that" quite a bit, but Makenna has gotten it a little confused in her head... she's been saying "How's that magine?" for a few weeks now :) And she says it with so much confidence that you just can't help but smile :)

To follow in her big sister's footsteps Maryn has decided to start calling me Katie (or Kay-Eee in her language). Makenna called Josh "Josh" for probably a good year of her life. Maryn doesn't use it all the time, just when she really wants my attention. I try not to encourage her but it's so cute to hear her little voice yelling "Kay-Eee" from her bed when she wants me to get her up, or "Kay-Eee" when she wants me to help her down the stairs.

Also, when Maryn laughs she actually says "Te He He He" as she's laughing. We need to get it on video because it's the cutest thing ever. Te He He He!!!

No comments: