Monday, August 9, 2010

Maryn Blastball 2010

Maryn participated in Blastball for the first time this summer. It's so hard to find recreational programming for kids under age 4, so when I heard from a friend that the Hiawatha Rec Department had soccer and Blastball for ages 3-5 I immediately signed her up for Blastball. All I knew about it was that it was a fast-paced version of tee ball. Perfect... she wants to be just like her big sister, so this was Maryn's "softball" for the summer!

Blastball is a very fun game. They only have one base - and it squeaks when you run/jump on it :) The kids hit from the tee and then run and jump on the one base and then get back in line. There are no positions in the field, everyone just stands around waiting to get a ball. When you catch a ball you wave it in the air and yell "Blast!" It is a great first step to teaching kids the basics of softball/baseball, but we've found it's been too much of an age spread and having boys and girls play together isn't going so well. The boys are a little too rough and tumble for Maryn's taste. She gets upset almost every game because a boy will shove her or knock her down to get to a ball that she is trying to field. Despite all of this, I think she's having a lot of fun and learning while doing so. Even though I think if I asked her what her favorite thing is about Blastball she would tell me the popsicle she gets at the end ;)


The swing... (My favorite part of this picture is that she's concentrating so hard that her tongue is sticking out - just like her Daddy!)


And a hit!!


Coach Jason racing her to the base


SQUEAK!!!


Turning around...


Had to go back and make sure she squeaked the base loud enough!


Coach Jason trying to teach "ready" position in the field. I love how she's attempting to bend her knees :)


Starting to lose interest in the field! This is the most common scene at these games... kids running off to the nearby splashpad, hanging from the tree, wrestling each other, playing tag, etc.


Water break! Maryn showing off her silly side!


And of course even more silly!


And she FINALLY got a ball out in the field!!! They usually have to make all the boys sit down just so she can get the opportunity to get near the ball!


Maryn's team, The Peacocks, getting instructions from Coach Tina and Coach Jason


Waiting for Blastball to begin... and looking awfully serious!

No comments: