Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween 2007

We had such a great Halloween! So much happened, so I have a lot to write about and even more pictures to share. Our Halloween officially kicked off on Tuesday when Makenna got to wear her costume to preschool. They had a parade through the school so all the parents could take pictures. Then they had a short little program for us and sang cute Halloween songs. Makenna's favorite song was the one about "scary eyes"!

Halloween afternoon we went to Josh's office for their annual Halloween party. It's events like this that make us so thankful to work for a family-friendly company like TrueNorth. They pretty much shut down the entire office at 3:30 and the kids parade through the entire office trick-or-treating, playing games and then get punch and cookies at the end. Makenna had a blast and Maryn was as good as gold (she even left her bunny ears on!). Then we rushed home, grabbed a quick bite to eat and then it was out the door for trick-or-treating in our neighborhood. Josh took the girls to the houses right around us and that was enough for Maryn. He brought her back home to hang out with me while I passed out candy and she just sat there digging through the candy bowl checking everything out. Josh and Makenna came back for a break and to warm up, and then I took Makenna out to hit the rest of the nieghborhood. She had such a good time and she really understood the whole concept of trick-or-treating this year. I was so proud of how she would walk up to the doors all by herself, say "trick or treat" and "thank you" all without being prompted. She was a good little cowgirl :)

Somedays I love living in suburbia, other days not so much. Yesterday was one of th days that I loved it! Everyone walking around our neighborhood and for the most part you know everyone and everyone is friendly. But one of our neighbors knows how to do Halloween up right... their house is situated right in the middle of the "trick-or-treating loop" in our neighborhood so they had a big firepit with a campfire going on their driveway. They also had hot chocolate for everyone and chili dogs. Everyone kind of congregated at their house and it was a lot of fun :)

I was kind of the ba-humbug house this year... the Health Educator in me kicked in and I decided that kids eat way to much candy on Halloween so we passed out Teddy Grahams, peanut butter Ritz crackers and mini granola bars. Josh even said he had one little kid disappointingly say "Oh man" when he looked in our bowl :) Oh well. I felt like I did my healthy deed for the day! Someone else in our neighborhood must have been having the same thought process that I was because Makenna ended up with a tub of Play doh in her pumpkin! I thought that was a great idea! Makenna ended up with more candy than we know what to do with so I'm sure all the other kids did as well.

Funny story for the day... Josh and Makenna were walking down the street and passed a neighbor that we know walking with another guy that we don't know. The guy that Josh had never seen before all of a sudden says "Dude! When did Matt Damon move onto our street!" Josh started laughing. The guy asked him if he had ever heard that before and he just had to laugh and say yes. It's hard for some of us to see it because we've known Josh for so long, but he has pretty regularly been mistaken for and/or compared to Matt Damon. The first time being on our honeymoon in the Dominican Republic and the people actually thought he was Matt Damon! That was hilarious! I married a movie star :) I do think they have a similar head shape, profile and hair, but looking straight on their eyes and nose are definitely different. Anyway, just had to share our laughs with you all.

Makenna on parade at preschool


Makenna's preschool class all dressed up!


Maryn enjoying herself at Daddy's office


Makenna loving her big spider cookie at Daddy's office


Glad to be rid of her bunny ears :)


And the main attraction at TrueNorth... in case you didn't know it, the actual Nemo and Dory from Finding Nemo live in the fish tank at Josh's office ;) We had to make our regular trip by the fish tank in the waiting room to say hi to Nemo and Dory!


The girls needed to relax for a few minutes before trick-or-treating (everyone was a little too hyper yesterday) so I put in a 10 minute video while I went upstairs to get ready. This is how I found them when I came back downstairs :)


Our little cowgirl


Our little bunny not wanting to be a bunny


Digging through the treat bowl


Maryn found something she likes!


Outside with our pumpkins


Posing like a cowgirl!


More of digging through the Halloween treats... like I said, this is pretty much all she did all night :)


Sometimes it's just easier to pick up the entire bowl!


Can you believe that someone gave me two full-size bags of M&Ms?!


You can't be a bunny without getting a picture of the tail!

No comments: