Thursday, November 15, 2007

More Ouchies

I am happy to report that most of Maryn's ouchies from last week have cleared up... just in time for her to get another one! Ahhhh! She was walking around holding her sippy cup two nights ago tripped and fell and hit her eye right at the edge of the sippy cup. She has a nice black and blue half-circle under her eye. Poor baby. Josh says she looks tough - like a 14 month old little girl needs to be tough ;) And of course she did this just in time for Budke family pictures this weekend.

Some pictures of the most recent ouchie...



Maryn's favorite words right now are "yeah" and "okay" (of course taking a backseat to Daddy). She says them at all the right times and says them a lot :) It's really quite endearing. The funny aspect of it is that she doesn't say no. Actually I don't think I've ever heard her say no. She will nod her head up and down and say "yeah" to questions but I have yet to see her shake her head no or say "no". Don't most kids master the word "no" first? I know Makenna did. But then of course we were telling Makenna "no" way more than we have to tell Maryn "no". That's probably our explanation right there :)

On the way home from preschool this morning, Makenna and I were talking all about the Friendship Feast they had with their friends this morning. The point of the Friendship Feast is to encourage kids to share in the spirit of Thanksgiving. Anyway, I was asking her which friends she shared her part of the feast with and she was listing them off. She came to her little friend Braeden and kind of paused. "Mommy, Braeden doesn't talk very much." Knowing Braeden and knowing that he's very quiet I said "Yeah Braden doesn't talk very much honey because he's shy. And that's okay to be shy, right?" Makenna replies "Yeah Mommy, but I'm not shy!" Understatement of the year!

It's getting to be that time of year again so we have the buzz of wrestling around our house :) Josh isn't coaching this year (only volunteering minimally) so he's been talking to Makenna about taking her to some dual meets and tournaments. She is SO excited! This child LOVES wrestling. And she just so happens to be good at it. One of her favorite activities is to wrestle with Josh in the evening after dinner (and keep in mind this is all Makenna initiated). She even understands actual wrestling technique and is quite good if I do say so myself :) One day while Josh was at work she wanted to wrestle with me. I know quite a bit of technique myself from having lived around the sport for so long so I decided to teach her a single leg while we were wrestling. Then that night when Josh and Makenna were wrestling around she says "Daddy I'm gonna single leg you!" She goes in, grabs the leg, pushes him over, lands on top and screams "2 points Makenna!" Josh was like, "Where'd she learn that?!" I'm probably not the best option for teaching wrestling technique in our house, but I think she's got a pretty good single leg if I do say so myself :)

Last weekend Josh was talking about something to do with the high school wrestling season coming up and Makenna got confused and thought they got to go to a meet that day. She was crushed and started crying when she found out she didn't get to go yet. So I was like "How about we watch Daddy wrestle on TV?" Of course I got the look of death from Josh - he would prefer that his children don't even know he wrestled. But we got out a few tapes of Josh wrestling in high school and showed Makenna her Daddy wrestling. She was mesmerized. She was getting into it and yelling "Win! Daddy Win!" Then in one of the videos you could see me on the side of the mat and Josh said "Look Makenna, there's Mommy too!" And in all seriousness she asks "Where am I?" It's so hard for her to imagine us without her around (actually it is for us too sometimes!).

No comments: