Friday, December 21, 2007

Changing So Fast

It seems like with kids, so much changes so fast. They are always moving on to the next thing. Which can be exciting, but also a little sad for the moms like me who like to hold on to their little babies. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for my girls to grow up and to see them develop and mature but it's hard to let go of some of those earlier days knowing that I will never get them back.

Maryn is now a pro walker! For well over a month now she has used no other method of transportation, only walking. Crawling is so not her style anymore :) She finds walking much more exciting. So exciting that she has taken it up a notch and is moving at faster and faster speeds with each day. Some days she gets moving so fast that if she ends up falling down it looks like she slid into a base in baseball! Can't blame the kid though... she just wants to keep up with her big sister (or run away from her!).

And I'm just starting to notice the beginning of a possible vocabulary boom for Maryn. I remember this with Makenna - all of a sudden they will acquire a huge amount of words in a short period of time and just wow the socks off me. Well I think Maryn is starting her first "boom" as I call it. Yesterday she said "ball" (sounded more like "ba") when she was pointing at her new Care Bear ball and then said "Bible" (sounded more like "biba") when I was reading our kids Bible to her last night.

And an amazing story displaying her already vast intelligence :) - yesterday she walked over to me and handed me her little magenta shoe. Not sure what she wanted me to do with it, so I undid the strap and handed it back to her (it's not unlike her to play with everyone's shoes in the house). Anyway, this was clearly not what she wanted because she immediately got huffy with me, threw the shoe, plopped her self on the ground and gave a very frustrated scream. I just shrugged my shoulders not knowing what she wanted but luckily she persevered. Within two minutes she was back at my side handing me the shoe once again, only this time she pointed down to her foot and very clearly said "foot" (sounded like "foo") in a very determined voice. This time I got it! She wanted that shoe on her foot and she walked around with one shoe on, one shoe off for probably an hour yesterday afternoon :) The huge smile on her face as I put the shoe on her foot let me know that I finally got it right!

And Makenna is not falling short at amazing us either. I think a few months ago I blogged about how proud she was of her ability to do puzzles. Well a very short time after that she moved from 24 piece puzzles to 100 piece puzzles! And don't think I'm some kind of pushy mom, it actually all happened by accident. I told her she could pick out another puzzle at the store one day as a reward for something and she wanted the Strawberry Shortcake puzzle. Well the only one they had had 100 pieces so we got it by default. I thought there was no way she would be able to do it because it said for ages 5+, but sure enough! Her ability to figure these puzzle pieces out, and at such a quick pace, absolutely amazes me. And I love puzzles too so this is one of my favorite activities to do with her :) Our favorite puzzles right now are Strawberry Shortcake, Care Bears and Princesses. Imagine that!

I recently blogged about Makenna's interest in sounding letters and words out. Well that has developed into an interest in how to spell words and write. The other day she was busy writing her letters to Santa Claus. Josh was sitting by her on the couch and she asked him what comes after "R". Josh was doing something with Maryn at the time so he wasn't paying attention to what she was doing so he of course just answered "S" without thinking anything of it. He said she just gave him this funny look and walked up the stairs. Well next I find her upstairs in Maryn's bedroom staring at Maryn's name on her bedroom wall. She has her finger up in the air pointing to the letters. I ask her what she's doing and she says "Y-N Mommy! Y-N comes after the R in Maryn." I took her downstairs and sure enough she had signed Maryn's name on one of the letters to Santa! I about fell over! I couldn't believe that she had the ability to know how to spell most of her sister's name, write it down and then when she couldn't figure something out to have the problem solving skills to get the answer ;) Some days I am amazed that this child is only three.

Okay I think I'm done bragging about my kids for the day!

No comments: