Friday, January 11, 2008

Climbing Monster

Some cute little tidbits about the girls...

A while back Makenna was trying to understand the difference between eyelashes, eyelids and eyebrows (all very confusing to a 3 year old since they are start with "eye"). We were working on this and then I pointed to her nostrils and asked her if she knew what that was called. She thought for a moment and then answered "that's what I pick!" Great! Not the answer I was looking for! The weird part about it is she doesn't even pick her nose that much (yes she's a typical toddler so it does happen every once in awhile!) so I was shocked she connected that.

Maryn has been eating quite a bit lately. I think she's hit a growth spurt because I've also noticed some of her clothes are shorter/tighter on her. Anyway I usually start her off with one thing on her tray, add a second after she gets going and then a third if she's still hungry or wanting something else. The newest thing she has started doing is if she is chewing a piece of food in her mouth and I put something new on her plate and that looks better to her she will pull the piece of food she is chewing on out of her mouth so she can eat the new food! No use wasting time when there's better food to be eaten! She does it almost every time! It cracks me up! I've started waiting on giving her alternative options with her food until she's done with her "first" course.

The other day we were driving in the car and I had the radio on some random station and a Prince song came on. Almost in unison the girls start jamming in their car seats, really putting their seatbelts to good use :) I really do not care for Prince so after 30 seconds of jamming I tried to turn the station and they both screeched so I obviously had to turn it back. After the song was over, a Lenny Kravitz song came on the radio and Makenna asked "Mommy can we listen to that girl sing again." Yes you can laugh out loud just like I did :)

We affectionately call Maryn our climbing monster. She climbs everything... and if she isn't big enough to propel herself onto something she will at least give it a good try. Needless to say, the gate we have at the bottom of the stairs has proved itself useless lately. She has discovered how to get it down. The funny part is that she just wants to sit one step up on the other side of the gate, she won't even try to go all the way up the stairs. Anyway, the other day we had just gotten home from the grocery store and I was trying to quick get all my frozen/cold foods in the refrigerator. The girls were running around and I was worried that Maryn would try to take down the gate and scale the stairs while I was busy so I asked Makenna to watch her and keep her off the stairs. Everything seemed to be going well, I got my groceries put away and went out in the living room to check on them and I am so touched by what I found... Makenna laying her entire body along the bottom of the stairs (hands hanging on to one side, toes touching the other) and she told me "Mommy I no want Maryn to get hurt." What a protective, sweet big sister! I was so filled with pride of what a nice person she is! She has done this exact same thing a few more times since then to protect Maryn from the stairs.

I don't know if it's the New Year or what, but Josh and I have been bitten by the organization/cleaning bug lately. It all started when we cleaned our entire basement over the New Years holiday. It desperately needed to be done and we felt so good when it was finished. So I just decided to keep on going and I've cleaned all but one of the closets in our house and I cleaned and rearranged all of our kitchen cupboards! I even decided to clean all the blinds in our house. Keep in mind that we have many, many large windows in our house and our blinds are wood so you can't take them down and spray them off. I cleaned each little wood slat individually. Painstaking process, but nice to have it done. Don't know about all of you, but definitely not something I do every month in my cleaning rotation ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.