Sunday, February 24, 2008

Toilet & Vocab

Last weekend Maryn learned how to flush the toilet. Or maybe I should more accurately say for the first time Josh and I weren't able to stop her from flushing the toilet. She gets a look of sheer elation on her face every time she does it ! Now she wants to sit on the potty :) She will point to her diaper and squat down like she has to go to the bathroom. She'll pick up the little potty seat, put it on the big toilet and try to climb up herself! So I'll take her diaper off and put her on the potty where she is more than happy to sit and play with the toilet paper and toilet lid :) I'm thinking it's more of just a ploy to play with the potty than anything, but it's a good interest at such a young age so I'm definitely encouraging her excitement with the potty :) The amazing thing is that she has actually motioned for the potty at the right times... either right as she's pooping or right before she has to pee. She also has a weird fascination with sucking on the hand soap container in the bathroom, but that's a story for a different day ;)

Maryn has also hit a vocabulary growth spurt in recent weeks. She used to just come up to me with her empty sippy cup, hold it up to me and kind of make a grunting noise when she wanted more juice and now I'm actually getting "Ju Pee" (that's "Juice Please" in Maryn talk). She says "thank you" quite a bit and the other night she laid in her bed singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" to herself after I put her to bed.

Maryn just recently started taking interest in baby dolls. She will rock her babies, feed them, give them loves (kisses and hugs) and read them books. It's so endearing to see that mothering quality just naturally emerge from my two little girls :) Of course two seconds after she's been giving her baby loves, she'll throw it on the ground and run over it with her toy shopping cart but we won't talk about that right now!



I've discussed on my blog a few different times about who my kids look like, etc. Overall, in the past it has been really difficult for me to pinpoint that one girl really looks like one or the other because I honestly just think we all look like individuals. I've had a hard time seeing it. I obviously saw certain features but not the overwhelming resemblancse that everyone else saw. Well recently I blogged about seeing myself in Maryn and now just a week ago I experienced the same thing with Makenna and Josh. We were looking at some video and pictures of Josh from when he was younger and I honestly gasped out loud. I couldn't believe the shocking resemblance between Josh and Makenna - it is seriously out of this world!

Makenna's vocabulary has been maturing as of late. By "maturing" I mean that she is using words that seem almost out of place coming out of a 3 year olds mouth. Of course I can't think of a lot of examples now that I'm writing this but a few that come to mind are "I sensed that was going to be the case Mommy" or "We were hoping for that." "Hoping" and "sensed" are such intangible ideas that I'm surprised she can use them correctly.

Honestly Maryn's favorite activity... reading books. Currently her favorite book is "Mr Brown Can Moo, Can You?" I can pretty much guarantee you that I read it to her at least 25 times on Friday and she probably read it to herself twice that much :)


Look at Makenna's sore, red lip from blowing her nose so much :( But she still has a smile to share!


How Maryn insists on eating these days... with Pup Pup shoved under her armpit.


Cheesing for the camera


Check out all that hair in the back! Yes it is a major mullet but I can't bring myself to cut it yet. Pigtails do the trick most days :)

No comments: