Sunday, September 26, 2010

Marynisms

One day after Josh's Ironman race, Maryn and I were putting together a puzzle. Out of the blue she says "Now that Daddy's an Ironman, I think he should do a hot dog eating contest." Of course that seems like the next logical step in her mind :)

Today we were all playing softball outside and enjoying the beautiful fall weather. I noticed that Maryn had disappeared inside so I went to check on her. She was standing in the kitchen trying to get a cup. I asked her what she was doing and she told me she was hot and needed a drink. I helped her get something to drink and she stands back, with her hand across her forehead, and proclaims in an exasperated voice "I have a hot wife." I about died. It only took me a split second to figure out where she came up with that one. Josh frequently refers to me (ha ha) as his "hot wife"... as in "Hi hot wife, how are you?" No, I'm not kidding. He really does this on such a frequent basis that my 4 year old has now picked up on it :)

Maryn has a new friend at preschool and her name is Odelia. I've known Odelia's mom through church for quite some time (she was Maryn's 2 year old Sunday school teacher), so it was a pleasure to see them at the preschool open house! To understand this story, you will need to know that Odelia's family is originally from a country in Africa (the exact one is escaping me at the moment). One of the first days of preschool Maryn was telling Josh all about her day at preschool while we ate dinner. I asked her who she played with and she started listing off her friends. She failed to mention Odelia so I asked her if she played with Odelia. She replied excitedly with "Yes! Odelia! She's the one with the chocolate all over her face." We nicely tried to explain to Maryn that everyone has a different color of skin and Odelia's is just darker than hers... it's not covered in chocolate. I'm not sure why this came up now since we have numerous friends of different ethnicities... maybe she's just old enough to notice the differences now. She continued on the chocolate kick for a few weeks every time she saw Odelia (luckily I don't think she ever said it to her face), but it opened up a good discussion about how God makes everyone different!

No comments: