Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Stay-At-Home Mommy Vent

So I'm really fed up and frustrated today so I think I need to vent a little bit. What a better place to do it than here on my blog :)
Without getting into specifics, let's just say that someone that I have to interact with on a regular basis (no one that reads this blog) just assumes that because I am a stay-at-home mom that I have all the time in the world to do whatever and help out in any way I can. Now don't get me wrong, I love to volunteer, help with my kids' stuff and be involved, all of which I do, but there is a limit to what any sane person can commit to. After volunteering to help out with something recently, the person in charge made some comment about "Oh well you stay home, don't you?" and then proceeded to stack the responsibilities and expectations on me. Just so everyone knows, stay-at-home mommies are actually working mommies too! We just happen to work at home! People that work outside the home pay good money to have someone watch their children and do all the things that I do all day long... they would be irate to find out that their childcare person is doing all of these outside activities when she has their kids, so why should the expectation be any different for stay-at-home moms?

There is all the typical stuff that goes with being a mom (running kids around, making meals, dr's appointments, taking care of kids, etc) but then I think there is the stuff that shouldn't have to be scheduled... play time, snuggle time and learning time with mom. It is very important to me but other people seem to think that just because I have a morning on my calendar that is not filled in that I have all this time to volunteer and help out. NO! And I'm not going to resort to scheduling play time with my kids. That is just plain old ridiculous. I can promise you this - I'm not going to get so bogged down with stay-at-home mommy activities and responsibilities that I don't have time for the one reason that I stayed at home... my kids.

No comments: