Monday, May 11, 2009

Potty Training

FINALLY Maryn has decided to be interested in potty training!!! Her timing could've been a little better (ie. we have a two month old and she picked when Makenna was recovering from surgery), but we'll take it! I believe this is at least our 4th attempt at trying. She's shown interest before but never wanted to stick with it. We've been working on it for well over a week and a half and things are going okay. She's so different from Makenna. Makenna was fully trained in a week, nights included. Maryn will be slow going and will do things at her own pace, that's just her personality. Currently she is in pull-ups (which we never even had to use with Makenna) and we are taking her to the potty on a regular basis. She will pee in the potty almost every time we take her and she poops in the potty on a regular basis as well. With that said she still can't keep her pull-up dry consistently and she's not able to tell us when she has to go. I decided to try a method this past weekend that I'd read about (much to Josh's dismay) and it seemed to work really well... you just let them be naked all the time and then they'll realize their urges to go better. It worked very well and she actually went to the potty without me prompting her three times in a row. But then she did have one accident on the carpet and the next day we were too busy (she can't go naked at church or playing outside, right?!) so it kind of fizzled out. So maybe we'll try that again another day.

There is a really funny story from the day she started potty training. That morning she had an absolutely disgusting poopy diaper. I was completely grossed out and was giving her the "you really need to use the potty" talk that Josh and I had been preaching at her lately. This time I was desperate though and decided I would try a little bribery. "Maryn if you start going on the potty, Mommy will take you to the store and buy you a new toy!!" All excited Maryn replies "A toy!" Stops and thinks about it for a second. "Uuuuhhhhhh... no thank you!" I thought we were doomed! The child wanted to wear diapers forever! And then that very night I heard her alone in the bathroom trying to get up on the potty by herself and sure enough she had to use the potty. We've been potty training her ever since!

No comments: