Thursday, May 22, 2008

Condiments

Maryn has been cracking us up lately - she is hooked on condiments! It all started very simply some time this spring. We grilled hamburgers and I noticed she wasn't eating hers (which she typically would). She kept reaching for the ketchup bottle after she saw me put some ketchup on my burger. So I indulged her and let her try a little ketchup to dip her burger in. Well it has all spiraled out of control from there... now she wants ketchup on EVERYTHING! Not only that but if there is some left on her plate she will dip her fingers in the ketchup and lick it off! Gross!! We try to stop that as soon as it starts!

And now she's started adding to her list of acceptable condiments and will now dip things in mustard and veggie dip as well :) She is up for trying any kind of "sauce". I'm not a huge fan of letting kids eat ketchup with everything and I always serve her without it first, but how can I not when she will eat almost an entire pork chop or chicken breast if she just has a little ketchup to dip it in?! The little peanut needs to put on some weight and I think this might be just the way to do it!

Well last night her condiment obsession was at it's peak and I just had to take some pictures. She had ketchup, mustard and veggie dip all on her plate and she was eating them all together. The carrots were getting dipped in the mustard, her hamburger in the veggie dip, etc. She really didn't care because she had three condiments to choose from!

Just to make note of it, Josh is absolutely repulsed by this new obsession. He does not like condiments whatsoever. No ketchup, mustard, mayo, pickles, relish, dip, etc. The only thing he likes is BBQ sauce. To say the least, sometimes he has to excuse himself when she gets it all over because the condiment mess makes his stomach churn :)

I think this newfound liking has actually come from her strong desire for salt. Actually I call her my salt addict sometimes. She loves any kind of salty food... give her a cracker and she will lick the salt off the top. Serious. I'm sure the ketchup and such is just another salty delicacy to her :)

Look at all that stuff on her plate... she's trying to decide which sauce to dip her carrot in next!


I had to include this one because you can see all the "sauces" dripping from her face and hands!


Licking the goodies off her fingers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just can't believe you are so brave to give her all that without a bib! Love those eyes:)