Saturday, December 20, 2008

Fun Story Updates

I'm so behind on all the cute little things our girls say and do on a daily basis. Here are a few that I can remember from the past month or so...

Towards the end of November our entire family was hit with the stomach flu. Maryn had some mild symptoms towards the beginning of the week, but we weren't sure if that was it or not so we were sitting on pins and needles waiting for her to start throwing up like the rest of us. Josh and I were sitting on the couch after we had put the girls to bed one night with the monitor on when Maryn starting crying all of a sudden. This is VERY unlike her to need us after we put her to bed so I went sprinting up the stairs thinking she was starting to get sick. I walked in her dark room and it took my eyes a minute to adjust to the light... I look in her crib and I see this figure that looks like a ghost in her crib facing the back wall of her room hitting the wall and screaming. I couldn't figure out what I was seeing until my eyes adjusted a few seconds later.... Maryn had somehow gotten caught with the blanket over her head and was disoriented in her crib and was hitting the back wall! It looked just like there was a ghost wandering around in her crib. Poor thing. She was upset but boy did mommy and daddy get a good chuckle out of that one.

During that same week when I was sick, Makenna turned into our little helper (when she felt okay). I was laying on the couch trying to figure out what was wrong with me (this was before it all really hit) and Makenna asked me from the kitchen if she could get a clean cup out of the dishes that were stacked in the sink. I thought there might be some breakable stuff in there so I asked her to wait for daddy. I could hear her go and ask Josh to get her a cup. I really wasn't thinking anything of it and then here comes my little sweetheart with a glass of water just for me. She told me to drink some water so me and that baby would feel better. What a good little nurse.

Makenna had a big first in her life - she got to go to her first movie ever in the theatre. It was a big deal and we had built it up for weeks that her and Daddy were going to go on a date to the movies :) She couldn't wait. They went to Madagascar 2 and got popcorn and candy. Makenna seemed to have a lot of fun but had a tummy ache when they got home because she ate too much junk. The cutest part of the whole story though is the morning of the movie we were asking her all about it and she couldn't stop talking about her date with daddy that upcoming afternoon. Josh asked her where she wanted to sit in the theatre and she responded with "By you Daddy!" Of course, why didn't we think of that! :)

On top of trying to talk in almost complete sentences already, Maryn has adopted some typical two year old phrases into her vocabulary lately. "I do it" and "Stop it" are definitely two of her favorites. My favorite phrase though is when she says "Oh messy!" Doesn't sound that cool typing it but it comes out sounding exactly like a very exasperated "Oh Mercy!" I definitely need to get that one on videotape.

Makenna informed me recently that her and her friends had formed the Super Spy Girls Club at preschool. I was less than pleased about this when I first heard about it because I always worry that someone is going to get left out. So I started asking lots of questions about it. I asked her what the club does and she told me they find stuff around the classroom and wear their Super Spy outfits (whatever that might be?). Then I asked her what you have to do to be in the club. She repeatedly told me over and over again "You have to be nice and you have to be a girl." Simple enough, I thought that sounded okay. After she told me yet again that you have to be a girl I asked her who is all in the club and she responds with "Noah." I asked her if she realizes that Noah is a boy and she said "That's okay mommy, he's really nice." I think they might need to change the name of their club.

This last quarter of the year Josh has been insanely busy at work. Typically we are very spoiled by his job and he is able to work basic office hours with no nights or weekends and very little overnight travel (if at all). On top of that he usually has the flexibility to do stuff during the day with us if need be (ie. doctor's appointments, preschool stuff, etc). Well let's just say that hasn't been the case lately. 11 - 12 hour days at the office has been the norm for a few months at our house and then he even has to work at home after the girls go to bed or on the weekends sometimes. It's been a long stretch but we're thankful the end is in sight. Anyway, last weekend Makenna was asking Josh to pull her and Maryn around on the wood floors on a blanket like he had done previously. After she explained to him what she wanted she said "Remember Daddy, like you did when you were here last year." Josh was seriously broken up about this. Even though Makenna obviously doesn't understand the concept of time very well yet (since Josh still sees them every night), just the thought of her saying that was heartbreaking to him.

We've been getting our Christmas cards in the mail and the girls love opening them up and looking at all the pictures. Some of their favorite cards of course are the pictures of all of their cousins. Maryn loves to show off her ability to name everyone in the picture :) Anyway, one night last week we got my sister's card in the mail and Makenna showed it to Maryn. Maryn grabbed it from her and immediately started pointing to the picture and saying "Nene (Jeanne), Ian (Eden), JT." She has never had a problem saying "JT" and has always said it very clearly. Anyway, she wouldn't put the picture down and continued this for a long time. After about the 12th time of doing this it turned into "Nene, Ian, Chi Chi." Josh and I just had to laugh... when Makenna was the same age she also called JT "Chi Chi." Maryn would've never heard this so it's hilarious that somehow the nickname has been carried on :)

No comments: