Monday, October 22, 2007

M-A-K-E-N-N-A

Makenna has recently learned how to spell both her first and last name. She is extremely proud of herself and now she spells everything she sees. Including last night at small group she told Sean that she could spell Duckie's name and she said "S-T-U-B." Sean said, "Oh is Duckie's new name Stub?" and she was like "No I spelled Duckie!" At least she's trying :)

Last week Makenna was on my lap and we were sitting at the table working on her printing. We were having a good time and she loves printing (especially the letters of her name). Slowly but surely through the monitor we could hear Maryn making small little noises and waking up from her nap. Makenna looks up at me and in all seriousness says "Mommy, how 'bout let's not get MarBear." I think someone was really enjoying her one-on-one time with Mommy :)

Maryn is becoming more of a communicator and seems to be understanding more and more around her. Last night Josh was driving with her in the car and he looked back and said "Hi MarBear" to which she clearly responded "Hi Daadee." A few minutes later he looked back again and said "You doing okay?" and she responded "Ok." I have been having these "conversations" with her for a few weeks now, but I don't think anyone believed me. It's easier to hear what Maryn's saying when you don't have a three year old to compete with ;) And as for understanding day-to-day events, the other night at dinner Josh said to everybody "Time to pray" and like it was second nature Maryn folded her little hands together. What a sweet memory!

Another day last week Makenna and I were playing Care Bears during Maryn's nap. Out of the blue Makenna says to me "Thank you for staying here with us Mommy." I couldn't help but hug her. I'm so thankful to have an appreciative toddler :)

And to end with a funny story - Makenna has decided for some odd reason that Duckie is going to be Spiderman for Halloween and she is so serious about it! We have no clue where this came from because she has never read about Spiderman or seen him on TV (at least that we know about). We were checking out at K-Mart the other day and the guy behind us was buying his son a Spiderman costume. Makenna walks right up to him and starts telling him all about how Duckie is going to be Spiderman for Halloween too and then wanted me to go buy Duckie the exact same costume the man had. I convinced her to let Daddy make the Spiderman costume instead :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure my husband hasn't been giving her ideas for the Spidey costume? Carrie:)